Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Childhood Recollections

It was in the 6th grade that we had a side course Urdu book entitled as ‘Muni aur (and) Nomi’; it was a story encircling the lives of two little girls. Muni; the poverty-stricken labor girl and Nomi; the girl belonging to the elite class. It was a thin book with smooth pages and wonderful illustrations. Being fond of smelling the books, I still have its fragrance fresh in my mind. I didn’t take much notice of its content until we finally started reading it in the class. The book hit me really hard. Never before had I been shown so clearly the realities of the difficult world where so many inner-city kids like Muni grow up. And never before had I been shown my own affluent suburban world as clearly as it looked against the backdrop of hers.

I began to realize that I had privileges I never knew were privileges: getting a solid education, never having to be concerned about the violence in my town or in my house hold, never worrying about parents who could not promise me food, or about sleeping without AC in the hot sweltering summers.

I started to wonder why these two worlds were so isolated from one another and how I could cross that divide. And I began to think about the possibility of transforming THEIR world into ours – a much convenient life for everyone on earth. As I grew up, with this in my mind, I realized at every step that it wasn’t as easy as it seemed under my childhood delusion. A phase came, where I completely lost the intense desire of joining the two disparate worlds. The feeling has somehow come back to me during the recent years. I have begun to think that though I could not play any part in bridging the two worlds but at least somebody has – although the transformation has been quite contrary to my reflection of thoughts. The transformation has occurred to bridge the gap by making life inconvenient for everyone on earth. If seen from a different perspective, the bridge has also immensely increased. Today, instead of creating a secure world we have created a world based on ruction and violence.

I may be as small to this world as a single drop to the ocean, but I guess if I want, I can and I will make a difference - that may not promise a better WORLD but at least a better CORNER for a few. Now that I have grown up, I realize I should not have given up my dream of changing the world and transforming it into something better. I realize that those who did not have a dream like mine, succeeded. I realize that even today I can make a difference but I am procrastinating – waiting for a revolution to hit the world and anchor the things on its own. Today, I see many Munis calling out for help – so I will use my writing to bring a little difference to the world.

Notes:

Dear Readers

I thank you all for reading my blog. I am not sure if it was something you enjoyed or not but I thought it was the best way to start it – by stating my ambition and my aim to bring a little difference through my writing. Thanks!

5 comments:

Kiran Nazir :) said...

Great man.....i enjoyed reading it. Keep it up and man Ur pen has the power to bring change and surely U will....See.the pen is mightier than the sword, we see that the founding Fathers of the US of America considered the pen to be mightier than the sword, and therefore were able to gain the freedom of America by uniting the colonists.
keep sharing Ur writings. And All the Very BEST : )

Anonymous said...

very good, you keep on impressing me, and its a pleasure to see such a talent, May Allah give you more strength and the power to change things..God bless...
Zeeshan...

Anoosh Khan said...

Amna this is a great start! Keep the flame burning and the pen writing!

Anonymous said...

Amna, I adore the vision u had in ur mind since ur childhood and i also appreciate that you want to fulfill it through your writings. But i want to know how are you going to minimize the difference when munis r not even blessed enough to get education. I believe your writings will make nomis realize that they should play their role in minimizing this difference between the two worlds?

Zain said...

Well-done Amna!

The issue u discuss above is very important and basic issue, our society is divided into two basic groups; one is haves, and other is have-nots.. Whenever the differences in these two groups increase, the society got imbalanced.. And we r facing the same situation these days.. If such situation is not controlled, the two groups collapsed like a big-bang.....


You take a very good step to realize the difference, everyone of us has to play his role.. because we r a nation, and we have to prove that we don't believe in such social classes...


Stay Blessed

Post a Comment

Thanks so much!